Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: April 14, 2023
This Applicant Privacy Notice describes how Amplitude, Inc. (“Amplitude,” “we,” or “us”) collects, stores, uses, discloses, and otherwise processes your information, which includes Personal Data, during the application and recruitment process. It also contains information about your choices and privacy rights.
Throughout this Applicant Privacy Notice, “Personal Data” means any information that identifies or relates to a particular individual and also includes information referred to as "personally identifiable information" or "personal information" under applicable data privacy laws, rules, or regulations.
This Applicant Privacy Notice does not cover our policies and practices regarding your information collected through our website, amplitude.com, including our Community Forum and Amplitude Academy; nor does this Applicant Privacy Notice cover Amplitude’s marketing activities or our customers’ access and use of our products and services. For information regarding these other policies and practices, please visit amplitude.com/privacy.
This Applicant Privacy Notice is not intended and shall not be read to create any express or implied promise or contract for employment. Neither does this Applicant Privacy Notice cover processing related to employees of Amplitude.
2. What Information is Collected?
We may collect Personal Data about you from (i) you directly; (ii) your referees; and (iii) other third parties, for purposes related to the applicant and recruitment processes. The Personal Data we collect about you may include:
- Contact Information
- Your name, address, email address, telephone number, and other contact information.
- Professional and Education Information
- Your resume, CV, cover letter, job application, employment history, educational history, transcripts, and other information about your education and work history or other relevant experiences.
- Public Information
- Your information from publicly available sources, including public online and social media profiles, such as information contained within your LinkedIn profile.
- Job Preferences
- Information related to your job preferences, such as desired salary or willingness to relocate.
- Information related to any assessments you may take as part of the interview or application process.
- Special Category Information
- Sensitive and/ or demographic information about you such as gender, citizenship and/ or nationality, military or veteran status, medical or health information, and/ or racial or ethnic origin.
- Information from Third Parties
- Information provided to us about you from third parties, including from your references, recruitment agencies and sites, background check companies, and Amplitude employees who referred you, have worked with you or otherwise know you.
- Other Information
- We may collect any additional information that you choose to include in your application materials and/ or share with us during the recruitment process, such as information collected during any phone screens, email exchanges, and interviews.
3. Why is my Information Collected?
We use the Personal Data collected above to carry out our recruitment and hiring processes. Our purposes for collecting your Personal Data include:
- Evaluating your skills, qualifications, and experience to make an employment decision;
- Verifying your information, including via reference and background checks;
- Managing our relationship and communications with you, including scheduling interviews and messaging via email;
- Making improvements to our application and recruitment processes;
- Keeping you in mind for future opportunities at Amplitude;
- Complying with applicable laws, regulations, legal processes, and/ or corporate governance requirements; and
- Protecting Amplitude’s interests, including protecting our legal rights and maintaining the security and integrity of our facilities, equipment, and electronic platforms.
4. Our Legal Bases for Collecting, Storing, and Using your Information
If you are an individual in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), United Kingdom, Switzerland, or another relevant jurisdiction, we collect and process Personal Data about you only where we have a legal basis or bases for doing so under applicable laws. We may process your Personal Data, at your request, in anticipation of entering into a contract of employment with you. We may process your Personal Data where we have your consent to do so or where the processing is in our legitimate interest to recruit the best possible candidates, and is not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. We may also process your Personal Data in connection with a legal obligation.
5. How is my Information Shared?
We may disclose the Personal Data that we collect about you as described below.
- Subsidiaries, Contractors, and Affiliates
- We may disclose Personal Data that we collect from or about you with our subsidiaries, contractors, and affiliates.
- Service Providers
- We may share your Personal Data with service providers who help us facilitate our hiring and recruiting processes, including the tools and systems we use for this purpose, such as our applicant tracking and management system, background check provider, and recruitment service providers.
- Legal and Protection of Rights
- We may share your Personal Data if we believe disclosure is necessary to comply with applicable laws, regulations, or legal processes, including a subpoena or a government request (such as a search warrant).
- Amplitude also reserves the right to disclose your Personal Data that Amplitude believes, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to exercise, establish, or defend Amplitude’s legal rights.
- Corporate Transactions
- We may transfer or assign your Personal Data in connection with a merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
- Other Third Parties
- We may share your Personal Data in order to (1) protect Amplitude’s rights or property; (2) to protect Amplitude, our customers, or the public from harm or illegal activities; or to (3) respond to an emergency in which we believe, in good faith, requires the disclosures of your Personal Data to prevent harm.
- We may share your Personal Data if you have asked us to do so or have given us your consent.
6. How Long is my Information Retained?
If you apply for a role at Amplitude and we decide not to move forward at this time, we may retain your information for a period after your application is submitted for business and legal purposes, including keeping you in mind for future employment opportunities at Amplitude, to improve our recruitment and application processes, for the purposes of defending ourselves against a legal challenge related to a recruitment or employment decision, or to comply with Amplitude’s legal obligations.
If you are offered a role at Amplitude and accept, we will retain your information as part of your employee record, at which point Amplitude’s Employee Privacy Notice will govern.
7. How is my Information Transferred Internationally?
By submitting your job application to Amplitude, you understand that your Personal Data may be transferred to the United States or another country other than your country of residence and you consent to such transfer. In order to ensure that your Personal Data receives an adequate level of protection and security, Amplitude has implemented appropriate safeguards for cross-border transfers of Personal Data, as required by applicable data protection laws. These safeguards include using the European Commission-approved standard contractual clauses to protect the transfer of your Personal Data to Amplitude’s corporate affiliates or service providers, if required by applicable law.
8. How is my Information Protected?
Amplitude uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards designed to secure your Personal Data from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. These measures may include, for example, physical access controls, encryption, firewalls, and detection and monitoring. Our personnel who may have access to your Personal Data are required to keep that information confidential and trained on their security and privacy obligations.
9. Additional Information for California Residents
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 and its amendments (“CCPA”), California residents have certain rights to disclosures about how we collect, use, retain, and disclose your Personal Data. This section addresses those requirements. For a description of all of our data collection, use and disclosure practices, please read this Applicant Privacy Notice in its entirety.
Personal Data Collection and Disclosure
Amplitude does not sell or share Personal Data as we understand the term “sell” and “share” to be defined by the CCPA.
The categories of Personal Data we may collect from you, from third parties, and from your interactions with us, and categories of third party recipients to whom we disclose such Personal Data for business purposes are set forth below. For additional detail about the Personal Data we collect and use and with whom we share this Personal Data and for what purpose, please review Sections 2, 3, and 5 above.
Amplitude does not use or disclose sensitive personal information for purposes other than those permitted purposes under the CCPA. Amplitude does not have actual knowledge that it sells or shares Personal Data of individuals under the age of 16.
We retain Personal Data as described in Section 6 above.
California law gives California residents the right to make certain requests with regard to their Personal Data. Please see Section 10 for a description of your choices and how you may make a request.
10. Privacy Rights
Depending upon applicable data protection law, you may have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data. These rights may include (1) the right to know what Personal Data Amplitude has about you; (2) the right to request that we correct any inaccurate Personal Data about you; and (3) the right to request that we delete Personal Data that we have collected from or about you.
Please note to exercise the rights set forth above we may ask you to (1) provide sufficient information to allow us to verify that you are the person about whom we have collected Personal Data; and (2) describe the request in sufficient detail to allow us to understand, evaluate, and respond to it. Each request that meets both of these criteria will be considered a "Valid Request." We may not respond to requests that do not meet these criteria. We will only use Personal Data provided in a Valid Request to verify you and complete your request.
If you wish to exercise these rights under applicable data protection laws by submitting a Valid Request, please email us at HRprivacy@amplitude.com.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the GDPR, CCPA, or other applicable data privacy laws or regulations.
12. Updates and Changes to the Applicant Privacy Notice
Please note that we reserve the right, at any time, to add to, change, update, or modify this Applicant Privacy Notice. Changes to this Applicant Privacy Notice are effective when they are posted on this page.
13. Contact Us
If you have any comments, concerns, or questions about this Applicant Privacy Notice, please send an email to HRprivacy@amplitude.com, or send mail to:
201 Third Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94103